Friday, March 12, 2010

Gompers Internship


I'm really really really going to miss the kids. 
(due to liability issues, I wasn't allowed to take pictures with the kids. but the TA told me I could take sneaky pictures without the faces clearly shown, so here it is :])

For the past couple of months, I had the opportunity to work in a special education classroom (by chance) while interning with the school nurse at Gompers Preparatory Academy (I feel like this is going to be a part of my research paper due next week, haha). Pretty much my time was split in the nurse's station and in the special ed. classroom. The students in the special ed. classroom ranged from 6th to 9th grade, & were moderately to severely disabled (from autism to ADHD to Down's Syndrome). I honestly had no idea that through this internship, I would develop a heart for students with disabilities. I wanted to jump with joy :] I finally found a passion in what I want to do with my life! I had the goal of becoming nurse Jackie after graduation, but now I would much rather work with special ed. kids in a more intimate setting, such as being a teacher or a speech therapist. Teacher Jackie? Therapist Jackie? I don't know. I'm nervous, yet excited about this whole change. One thing I need to remind myself of: I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow. I really pray & hope that I will be able to glorify God in all my circumstances. The sincerity & purity I saw in these students reminded me of how we, as Christians, should approach God's throne with the same sincerity & pureness like a child. I loved their smiles & greetings whenever I came into the classroom. I'm genuinely going to miss the time I spent with the nurse, the special ed. teacher, the TAs, & especially, the students I got attached too :] Thank you, Gompers!

"Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all." Mark 10:15
---
hahahaha I love this picture! Say hello to the penguin :]

LAST WINTER QUARTER FINALS APPROACHING NEXT WEEK!